Seafood Risotto Milanese
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped seeded plum tomato (2 tomatoes)
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, cut in half horizontally
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Place 1/2 cup chicken broth and saffron threads in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Remove from microwave; set aside.
Heat oil in a large saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
Stir in rice. Strain saffron mixture; discard threads. Stir in saffron broth and cook until almost absorbed. Add the rest of the broth, one cup at a time, in the same fashion. Add the white wine last, stirring constantly until absorbed.
Stir in tomato, shrimp, and scallops; cover and cook 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are done. Stir in parsley and butter. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
|Da Rita e Antonio, Milan|