27 July 2012

Eatin' at the bar

The bars in Milan have this really excellent tradition of serving free food during happy hour, generally from 6-8pm, EVERY NIGHT of the week.  It's not guaranteed, but it is very likely that you can nurse a drink during this time and turn it into a full meal, all for the price of that one cocktail.  I like free stuff, and I like food, so I was eager to participate in this tradition.  One Sunday, I went to the Rick Steves-approved Bar Brera in the snooty art school neighborhood and got some pretty unfriendly service, but was paid in kind with a generous buffet of salads, meats, olives, cheeses, and of course, tons of white bread.  It really was a lovely spread, and for the price of a glass of Prosecco, I pigged out like a ten-year-old at Bonanza.  The deviled eggs were a sight right out of a Midwestern potluck until I bit into one--it was like a meal in two bites.  I think this is what I ate...




Eggs stuffed with tuna

Serves 4

4 hard-cooked eggs, cooled, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
1 can tuna packed in olive oil, drained
Mayonnaise
1 oz. capers
8 olives, pitted
½ teaspoon tomato paste
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, place the tuna, capers, and tomato paste.  Carefully remove the yolks from the eggs and add them to the mixture; combine thoroughly with a fork.  Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste, then place equal amounts in each egg cavity.  Place one olive on top of each stuffed egg and serve.



Bar Brera in Milan


No comments:

Post a Comment