06 July 2012

A blender and tequila can fix anything.

I suck at buying melons.  I know this about myself, but when I recently offered to bring a watermelon and feta salad to a get-together, I threw caution to the wind and picked out what I thought would be edible at the local natural foods store.  Apparently all that thumping, sniffing, and turning in my hands was ineffective, because when I cut into the damn thing, it tasted like almost nothing and had the consistency of felt in my mouth.  The salad was definitely not happening. 

But I hate to waste food, and I still liked the thought of having watermelon on a hot, stinky day.  I sprinkled some sugar on it and it tasted a bit more like watermelon.  I sprinkled some lime juice on it and it was better yet.  And then a drink was born...



Watermelon Mojitos

Makes 4 drink

[You could be a purist and stick with mint and rum, but I like this variation very much.]

1/2 of one small watermelon, remove from rind and cut into chunks
juice of 1 lime
4 tablespoons sugar
generous handful of fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup tequila

Combine all ingredients in blend and liquify.  Pour it into a glass and drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment