08 July 2011

Fun with tequila

Ain't it the truth, brother!


Funny story--I lived for a summer in southern Germany as a poor musician (as opposed to my current occupation of poor musician in Colorado).  I was young then, and my body metabolized toxins more efficiently. For some reason, tequila was very cheap in the tiny provinces south of Munich, and my friends and I often used it to quiet our growling stomachs in place of actual, nutritious food. It was generally consumed as shots, often just before opera rehearsals (in my opinion, playing in an orchestra backing an entire cast of divas requires alcohol, and we earned it).  At the end of that summer, and a good number of hangovers later, I had developed a bit of an intolerance, you might say, to the liquid gold and didn't touch it for about 10 years.  Even the smell would send me running.  I'm proud to say I have gotten over that childishness and am back on the tequila bandwagon.  Cutting it with other ingredients helps.

This is one of my favorite recent additions to the rotating cocktail hour menu at our house; the flavors of sage and tequila make me think of the Southwest, my (almost) adopted home.  This drink is earthy, refreshing, and the best part: it has tequila.


Tumbleweed

Makes 1 drink

1 oz. lemon juice
6 fresh sage leaves
2 oz. tequila
1 oz. honey syrup*
Ice

Place sage leaves in a cocktail shaker and muddle with a wooden spoon.  Add all remaining ingredients and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker becomes too cold to hold.  Strain into old fashioned glasses over ice.


*Honey syrup: combine equal parts honey and hot water; whisk to incorporate.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you most definitely earned it!! Love the story, but love even more that you were able to get back to the liquid gold. I'm a tequila girl, and am eager to give this concoction a try! Like the idea of the honey syrup, I've not used that before but I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete