19 July 2016

This is a way of making Mapo Tofu, and you can find the ingredients at Safeway.

Look, how to make the "correct" mapo tofu is a sticky subject, but from my research, I have found that many different subsets of Chinese culture have their own idea about what it's supposed to taste like.  Then there's the Japanese version, which is its own thing and also the only correct recipe if you ask them.  It's kind of like organized religion.  

I am polyamorous when it comes to anything involving tofu and ground pork, so I'm not limited by your preconceptions. But I am cheap and too lazy to drive all over Denver looking for esoteric ingredients; I guess I really worship at the church of The Closest Grocery Store to My House.  So, I'm sorry if you don't like this, or maybe you want to call it something else, like Golden Delicious Ground Pork and Tofu.  But when you try my recipe, you'll be sold.  (PS--vegetarians can use shiitakes instead of pork and it's still really, really good!)



Mapo Tofu

Serves 4

1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons minced ginger
4 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon black bean paste will also work
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
6 ounces ground pork
1 block of silken tofu, drained and cut into 3/4” cubes
Hot rice for serving

Add the water, cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar to a small bowl and stir to combine.

Heat a large frying pan until hot. Add the pork, ginger and green onions and stir-fry with a spatula, to breaking it the pork into small grains, until pork is cooked through. Add the black beans paste and chili garlic sauce and continue stir-frying. Add the tofu, and toss to mix.

Give the cornstarch mixture a good stir to incorporate anything that may have settled, and then pour it over the pork and tofu. Toss to coat, then boil until the sauce thickens.

Serve with hot rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment