05 September 2014

Kimchi Rice "Hash" with a Fried Egg on Top

I'm fascinated by different hangover foods from around the world. I often don't earn the hangover first; I just love how comforting most of them are.  Like an American brunch, most of the hangover foods I have been introduced to have just the right mix of carbs, protein, and grease to make me happy any time of day.  And they often involve eggs, which is always a plus in my book.

In that spirit, I came up with this recipe one day when I had no idea what to do with the slightly overripe asparagus sitting in my fridge. You could swap out green beans, broccoli florets, or any other green something if that's what you have on hand, though. I often keep extra cooked rice in the freezer for when I'm in the mood for it and don't want to wait, and I always have a jar of kimchi opened, so for me this was a no-brainer. If you have any of these ingredients already made, this is a delicious and simple way to use up leftovers when you're tired, hungry, and possibly hung over.



Kimchi Rice “Hash” with Fried Egg

Serves 4

2 cups jasmine rice
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
1 cup dry shitake mushrooms
Salt and black pepper to taste

For compound butter:
¼ stick butter
1 teaspoon miso
1/3 cup kimchi, drained
1 garlic clove, minced
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon grated ginger

Four fresh eggs and little butter for the pan

Cover the mushrooms in boiling water and allow to sit 30 minutes or until tender.

Cook the rice according package directions in a saucepan or rice cooker.  If you have a steamer insert, you can steam the asparagus at the same time.  Otherwise, steam asparagus in lightly salted water in a small saucepan. When mushrooms are tender, drain and thinly slice; add to asparagus.

Combine all ingredients for the compound butter in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

When rice, asparagus, and mushrooms are done, add to the bowl with the compound butter and stir thoroughly to coat.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.

In a large frying pan, heat about a tablespoon of butter over medium high heat.  Crack the eggs, one at a time, into the pan and lower to medium-low heat.  Cover and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are done to your liking., between 2 and 4 minutes.

To assemble, place equal amounts of the rice on each of four plates and place one egg on top of each.  Serve immediately with soy sauce on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment