09 August 2013

Is it time for brunch yet?

Ugh, what a week.  It's been hot, I vacuumed, I flossed every night...damnit, I deserve a treat!  Brunch food is always so decadent to me because, well, I don't usually get to sit around stuffing my fat face for hours and drinking, despite my best efforts.  But, combine the most basic baking ingredients known to mankind with fresh fruit currently available in my back yard, and I certainly have reason to stage a brunch.  So what if it's Friday?  Close enough.



Roasted Blueberry and Rhubarb Crepes with Honey and Butter

Serves 2

Filling:
1 cup diced rhubarb
1 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Batter:
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Toppings:
honey
butter
greek yogurt
whipping cream
ice cream

Preheat oven to 400˚. In a bowl, toss together blueberries, rhubarb, honey, and cinnamon. Place on parchment and roast until soft, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and lightly mash.

Whisk together flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth. Heat 8″ skillet and lightly grease with butter. Place a scant 1/4 cup of batter in pan. Tilt the pan so that the batter covers the entire pan and cook for about 30 seconds. Flip and cook for another 15 seconds. Place done crepes on a piece of parchment paper (be sure not to fully stack crepes.)

To serve, smear roasted fruit mixture in crepes and serve with favorite toppings from above list.

No comments:

Post a Comment