16 April 2013

Recipe review: Kale Salad with Cherries and Pecans

This is another recipe from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, and although I could not find it on her blog, I did find several other bloggers who had adopted (or adapted) it for themselves, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's a keeper.  You can find the original recipe in the cookbook; I have included my substitutions in the directions below.  

I love this over leftover white rice for a lunch salad or on the side with just about any grilled protein.




Smitten Kitchen's Kale Salad 2.0

SALAD INGREDIENTS: 
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I prefer walnuts) 
8 ounces kale
4 ounces radishes, sliced into paper-thin rounds
1/4 small red onion, thinl sliced (my addition)
1/2 cup dried cherries (or cranberries)
2 ounces soft goat cheese, chilled

FOR THE DRESSING:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Wash and spin kale to remove excess water. Chiffonade the kale leaves into thin strips (SK recommends removing stems and veins, but I leave 'em in and just make sure everything is chopped super fine). Add the kale ribbons to a large salad bowl. Add the radishes and red onion.

Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small dish, and pour the dressing over the kale, radishes, and red onion.  Toss to coat and allow to sit in the refrigerator at least one hour.  SK does not give these directions, but I find it slightly "cooks" the veggies so that they are tender and infused with flavor. If you're in a hurry, just serve right away.)
Add pecans and cherries. Crumble the goat cheese over top.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I don't use kale enough...I need start using more kale. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete