I haven't made much in the way of modification here, because I think this recipe is just about perfect.
Mike Isabella's Custardy Baked Orzo with Spinach, Bacon, and Feta
- 1 cup orzo
- 6 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the orzo until al dente. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned, 8 minutes. Add the onions and cook until tender, 8 minutes. Add the leek mixture to the orzo, leaving 1 tablespoon of fat in the skillet. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until just fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the contents of the skillet, the lemon juice, and the drained spinach to the orzo, fold in the feta and season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the yogurt and milk, season with pepper and stir into the orzo. Scrape the mixture into an oiled 12-by-8-inch baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes, until the eggs are set and the top is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.