11 May 2018

Green-and-white chili for summer

As a Midwestern girl, I had never touched a roasted green chile until I moved out to Colorado in the early 00s.  I'm not sure I even knew they existed.  Now they are my absolute favorite, and I can't wait until late summer when my local farmer's market is packed with roasters all morning.  The good news is, those frozen bags/tubs at the grocery store are pretty OK, so you can enjoy spicy, fresh stews all summer long. I use a pressure cooker to do my beans, which slows down the process and heats up the house a bit more, but I wrote this recipe for canned beans to be a little more user-friendly. Don't cheat on grilling the chicken, though--it makes a huge difference, especially when your chiles have been frozen! Just plan ahead and do it the next time you have a cookout, then wrap it in foil until you're ready to make this stew; it'll keep for a week. 


Green and White Chili

Serves 6

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6-8 oz. of grilled chicken (no skin, chopped)
2 15-oz. cans of white beans (any type, do not drain)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 24-oz. bag frozen, chopped green chiles, mild or hot
1 tablespoon lime juice
shredded cheese or queso, lime wedges, sour cream, and more chopped fresh cilantro to serve

First, you must thaw the chiles in the refrigerator and save their liquid; I just toss the whole bag on a plate and throw it in the fridge for a couple of days. 

In a stock pot or Dutch oven,. heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion, garlic, and cilantro and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant.  Add the cooked chicken, white beans with their liquid, salt, pepper, cumin, chiles, and lime juice, stir, cover, and heat through.  Serve with garnishes listed above and hot fresh tortillas to clean the bowl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment