13 April 2012

Toasted Pine Nut cookies

I like to enjoy a little something sweet with coffee in the middle of the afternoon (a nasty habit I picked up while in Germany, hanging out with a bunch of crazy theater people).  I don't really have that much of a sweet tooth, however--cupcakes with mountains of frosting make my stomach churn just looking at them. I like this recipe because it's easy (and easy to remember), and can be adjusted for use with different nuts for a new flavor each time.  If you use larger nuts like pecans or almonds, make sure to chop them.  Although I prefer pine nuts, the photos below are from a time when I experimented with sesame seeds.

Pssst...these also work with strong sweet cordials like limoncello, if you need an extra reason...




Toasted Pine Nut Cookies

Makes about 32 cookies

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (or 1 cup toasted sesame seeds, for a cheap and tasty alternative)
1/2 cup whole wheat flout
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.  

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, and vanilla.  Stir in the egg and pine nuts.  Add all remaining ingredients and combine into a sticky dough (hands work best for this).

Scoop tablespoons of the dough onto the baking sheets and roll into balls; press into 2-inch rounds. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.



3 comments:

  1. I like not too sweet cookies like this. I know exactly what you mean about cup cakes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the feeling. Although I love desserts, sometimes rich cakes with mounts of filling and frosting can be overwhelming and I just crave a nice, not-sickeningly-sweet pastry. Tea biscuits tend to be similar to your idea and scones.

    ReplyDelete