27 December 2011

Cocktails that won't make you feel like a blimp

I am not weight-obsessed (though I was once accused, behind my back, or looking anorexic by a rather tubby hippie from San Francisco); I just don't want my drinks to make me feel so full and bloated that I cannot eat the hors d'oeuvres at the next table.  There are so many great holiday beers out there, but I feel like the Michelin Man after having one.  Ditto for regular Bloody Marys or anything with Bailey's Irish Cream in it.  Here are a few drinks that allow you to keep some space open in the food stomach; be a friend and serve some of these at your parties this season (but be sure to stock up on the meatballs, too):


Mimosa: Rub the rim of a champagne flute with the inside of a quarter-inch wide slice of fresh orange peel, then toss into the glass.  Pour in four ounces of sparkling wine, and ounce of club soda, and an ounce of orange juice.

White Wine Sangria: Pit and slice four peaches and four plums and cut 1 pound of green grapes in half.  Place fruit in a punch bowl and cover with three bottles of sparkling wine, a 12-ounces can of diet lemon-lime soda and a 12-ounce can of club soda.  Chill for at least one hour and serve over ice.

Bloody Mary: Combine 2 oz. vodka, 4 oz. low-sodium Spicy V-8, and a half oz. lime juice.  Add 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce.  Mix well, add salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with a stalk of celery and a lemon slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment