02 July 2010

S'more-ish cookies

I returned recently from a family reunion in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It was tough. I mean, the place is beautiful: Mt. Rushmore is breath-taking even if you don’t think you’re patriotic, Custer State Park is huge and buffalo are really, really huge, and everyone is so nice. Going out to eat is definitely a meat- and fried food-lover’s paradise, but there’s always at least some Fat Tire on tap.


But here’s where it gets sticky: there were eight adults and three young children in a cabin with two bathrooms, we were staying at least an hour drive away from anything to see, and it rained all day the last three days we were there. Don’t get me wrong, I love ‘em like they’re family, but everybody gets tired of doing the “I-have-to-poop” dance in the hallway.

Perhaps it was everyone’s desire for comfort, but we made s’mores over the gas grill EVERY night. I didn’t even want them at first, but there they were, sitting on the plate and seeming to placate everyone else. And you know what? They were delicious. Now I’m back and I still crave them, but I’m too lazy to drag out the charcoal camping grill over and over again to get the proper effect. So, I took my favorite flourless chocolate cookie recipe and did some adjusting…


S’more-ish Cookies

1 ¾ cups powdered sugar

½ cup dark cocoa powder (Hershey’s Dark is nice)

2 teaspoons cornstarch

¼ teaspoon salt

1 large egg

¼ cup mini marshmallows

¼ cup roughly broken graham cracker pieces



Preheat oven to 300˚F. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the egg, then mix all ingredients thoroughly. If the batter is too thick to work with, add some water a teaspoon at a time (it should be pretty fudgy). Add marshmallows and graham cracker pieces and mix well.

Drop dough by spoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets and bake 18-20 minutes. Cookies should be puffy and crackly on top; they may still seem a bit moist in the center. Cool thoroughly before eating.



Yield: about 15 cookies
Friendly burros in Custer State Park also want s'more-ish cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment